The Queen was born in Bruton Street Mayfair on the 21 April 1926, she is 91 today and has been on the throne since 6th February 1952. Her birthday will be marked publicly by gun salutes in Hyde Park, Windsor Great Park and the Tower of London at midday. Here at Aldrich we are very excited to see this year’s birthday cake, following Bake Off’s Nadiya Hussain’s beautiful creation last year. It would only be right to share our favourite baking recipe with you! Emily’s grandmother, who shares a birthday with Her Majesty, has a simply delicious Victoria sponge recipe – add candles and a dusting of icing sugar to add the glorious finishing touches.
- Set the oven to 190
- Butter two 20 cm cake tins
- Beat 250 grams of soft butter with 250 grams sugar into the mixer till pale
- One by one beat in the 5 eggs and a few drops of vanilla essence
- Fold 250 grams of self-raising flour and 1 tsp of baking powder into the mixture
- Pop the mixture into the cake tin and slide into the oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack out of the tin and then slather with strawberry jam
Simple! Hey presto a delicious birthday cake ala Granny.
We would like to share with you this particularly special photograph of Her Majesty by Chris Levine. I hope that she has time for some shut eye today and time to quietly reflect.