So the time has come! You have spent years of late nights, of blood, sweat and tears working towards your degree and the hard graft has nearly paid off. With your graduation just around the corner it is time to start thinking about your next steps; your last as a student and the first towards the career of your dreams.
Finding your first job as a graduate can be daunting, so see below are our top tips to help you get started.
- THE PERFECT CV – an imperative part of your job search, and key to showcasing who you are. Follow the link to our blog for some advice on the fundamentals of the perfect CV http://aldrich.co.uk/blog/the-stand-out-cv/
- DO YOUR RESEARCH – For both recruiters and future employers it is critical that you can demonstrate your interest. Why is it you want to work in this industry, in this company, this role? Be armed with examples, with conversation starters and be confident in your knowledge
- RECRUITERS – BE SELECTIVE – Be picky about who you choose to represent you. Who can you trust to have your best interests at heart? Familiarise yourself with recruiters and their client base, listen to personal recommendations and ultimately be sure your recruiter understands your goals
- GET NETWORKING – Whether it be via Linkedin, or through family and friends, never underestimate the power of being well connected. Get your name out there, you never know what doors it may open
- EXPERIENCE – Keep an open mind. We all need to start somewhere, be prepared that may be at the bottom. Gaining experience is key; internships and graduate work placements can set you apart from the rest of the field
- POSITIVITY – It can be competitive out there, so stay positive when you get knocked back. Ask for feedback and take those opportunities to improve and develop
Finally, relish the moment! Enjoy your cap and gown celebrations, reminiscing with the friends of a lifetime you have made along the way. When you are ready to get started be sure to give us a call on 0207 588 8999. Good luck!